I don't know about other adolescent girls, but when I was one, I listened to a lot of music, and I would often times pretend as if the song that was playing was "for me" from whatever crush I had at the time. It was always far fetched, because in all reality, most of the boys I wished would dedicate a song to me, or even make me the ever elusive mixed tape, didn't know I even existed. Since then I've had a few of those mixed tapes made for me, and perhaps a few dedications if you will. But not many of them can quite compare to the song meant for me, picked out by my very own father to dance to at my wedding.
My dad is one of those guys that is full of integrity, comes off quiet but has a sneaky sense of humor in all situations, and has character that I admire and aspire to attain someday. He's thoughtful, and when I am with him, I feel as though he is really there, in the moment, and is really listening to what I am saying.
He's also a guy who is incredibly easy going and easy to make decisions with, because almost no matter what I offer up, he gives a "that sounds good," or "sure," or "I like the comfy one." So, in the wedding planning process that was the year before mine and my husband's wedding, he was incredibly easy to work with. A few days before the wedding he made one of the only requests to be made by him in the entire wedding planning process. He had picked out a song for me - for us - and wanted us to dance to that song on my wedding day. He picked it out. Just for me. When I listened to it, I broke down and cried, not only because it is such an incredibly sweet song, but also because it speaks of my dad's character. Caring, supportive, loving, and calming. Below is one of the best songs that anyone has ever picked out for me, that was meant just for me. To this day, tears go down my face when I hear the song - sometimes I even cry a little harder. All because of the love for my dad, and his gentle spirit that speaks to me through the lyrics of the song.
Thank you dad, for teaching me what a real man looks like, acts like, and treats a woman like. It is because of you, that I am who I am today. Happy Father's Day! I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment