Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sometimes if you just wish it hard enough, you wish it to be.

Last week, we saw some pretty good weather days - days where I was beginning to think that perhaps, just maybe, Summer was upon us.  Thursday rolls around, and I am super excited because that was the night that I had planned a session (the rainy day give-away session to be exact) with Selena and her boyfriend, Jason.  I woke up, the day was beautiful, and then I looked at the weather (which is something as a photographer, that I do about 15,000 times per day, especially when I know I have a session coming up).  So I'm on the web, looking outside at the fabulous looking day, and the weather website is sitting there open, telling me that it is going to pour down rain.  Not just sprinkle, but an all out downpour that evening.  That's when I start going into denial thinking positive.  It will not rain!  It will not rain!  Please dear God, let the rain hold off... until say, 9:30??  Well whatever I did (ha... or didn't do, but think I did)  it turned out that its just about the perfect evening to shoot a portrait session.  I meet up with Selena and Jason at a bank parking lot in downtown Zionsville - and as luck would have it, we show up at practically the exact same time.  The sun is shining (but not so much to cast a harsh shadow on my wonderful  clients, but it was just about perfect) and I must say, Jason and Selena are looking stunning.  I get asked quite a bit from potential clients, "what should I wear?"  I try to give guidelines about staying away from busy patterns, or other random things, but the most important things are 1) be comfortable, and 2) be yourself!  It sounds incredibly cheesy, but if you don't go by those two things, it will show in your face, and it will show in your pictures.  So I meet up with Jason and Selena, and they look incredibly good looking (I just got a Zoolander flashback..) - they were well put together, but still in a casual look, and one of the things I first notice about them is this comfort level that they have with each other.  I start asking them about how they met, and what they do, and they are amazing people, and really, they are so good together.  They get in front of the camera, and right away, I let their love for each other shine in those pictures.  Great fancy lenses and camera bodies won't do that on their own.  I give them a pose or two, but within those poses, I want them to be them, and I want their personalities to shine.  They did exactly that.  They were willing to get on the ground and sit, as I call it "criss cross apple sauce" (aka Indian style... my husband laughs at me each time I say that, but heck, it's the PC teacher in me, I suppose), and they were willing to lay on benches, and lay in the grass - they were great sports.  I was so blessed to be able to work with them, and I wish them so many good things in the future!

Below are a few favorites from the day!  Thank you Selena and Jason!







1 comment:

  1. Love this post and your excellent work with us! The photo session was such a treat and I hope to work with you again in the future. You rock, lady! --Selena

    ReplyDelete